As part of our 40 years anniversary celebration, we want to share it with you here in Cork! Interested in an intensive abroad English programme in Ireland, contact us now for our early bird special offers in 2018 !
In the international world of business, English is used every day in offices around the world in meetings, confcalls, video conferences, canteens and even after work in a café, bar or restaurant! More often than not there aren’t even native English speakers present. Don’t forget there are only 400 plus million native speakers of English in the world and over 6 billion inhabitants!
But – English is the language needed to communicate successfully in business today.
And the most important word in the sentence above is communicate. This then brings us to 2 very important points all English learners need to remember:
- You cannot change the accent of the person you are talking to – but you can learn to manage the conversation/meeting/negotiation, and especially when these are virtual, so as to keep control of the information flow. You do this by constantly using good clarifying and confirming strategies in English that you can learn on any of our courses. These strategies will give you the confidence to focus on the message your interlocutor is trying to communicate and eliminate dangerous – and costly – misunderstandings!
- Your ability to communicate successfully to colleagues, clients or suppliers in English is what is important, not your accent. When participants who have problems in communicating in English arrive in Nations, we soon discover that it is rarely as a result of their accent. Pacing (or speed of delivery) and KISS, (simplicity of content) are often the main problems. Bad pronunciation, related to incorrect articulation, is sometimes part of the problem, and then some limited corrective work needs to be done. Learn to love your accent; it is part of who you are – and how better to communicate than by being yourself.
Being yourself – now that’s another interesting aspect of learning English and using English internationally; why being yourself is important for good inter-cultural understanding…
But that’s a subject for my next blog.
• Nations is the is the only Executive English Language Centre exclusively for business people and professionals in Ireland
• Ireland is the only English-speaking country in the Eurozone
• Being in the Eurozone means not just savings in training fees, but accommodation costs and expenses
B&B/Hotel costs up to 65% less than London
We also offer executive family accommodation with private transport to Nations each day.
For example: one minute on foot from Nations we have a great 4* hotel with gym, swimming pool & spa, from 105 euro per night including breakfast.
The equivalent in London would be 300 Euro!!
Fantastic cost savings, in addition to the quality of our courses and service!
In our blog, the Nations team and myself will be bringing you interesting and useful insights in how best to work, communicate and live in English.
Bye for now and hope to see you in Nations Ireland!
Ivan Kearns CEO
@ : email@example.com
Tel: + 353 (0) 21 427 7422
ISO 9001:2008 – registered firm